An awkward showing

Mint house is officially on the market!  It's only been a few days and it already feels like forever.  That's probably because for over a month, people have been telling us that it's going to sell SO fast and maybe even before it hits the market.  They were all wrong.

Fun Fact: we were walking through Central Park when Ben made the call to list the house.


That night, we set up the scheduling app on our phones.  It's the app that all the agents use and is linked to our listing.  The next morning, we got a request for a showing.  Honestly, we were prepared to be inundated with requests from how people talked.  We were not.  ONE.  Ben had to work, but I didn't want to miss an opportunity, so I accepted the request and was so thankful we were done with school because the rest of my day was spent getting the house ready.

The app said it was booked with so-and-so agent, so when the appointment time rolled around and a single woman walked up to the door, I assumed she was either the buyer or the agent.  There's a reason there's a saying about assuming.  I was under the impression that all I had to do was get out of the agent/clients way and the agent would do the job.  I had the boys and the dog all ready to go.  They were waiting by the car and we were going to get snow cones while we waited.  I hate snow cones, but I was so stinkin' hot from cleaning that I needed something cold and ASAP.

Anyway, back to my assumption.  
I thought we were waiting for another person, so I chit-chatted with said woman out on the porch for several minutes.  It was HOT.  I waiting for her to say something like, "My client should be here in a minute."  She asked about the noise from the main road and how I felt about living so close to it.  It was hard to make it sound not so bad, when inside I hate it every single day.

I finally got up the nerve to ask if she was the agent.  She chuckled and said no, it was just her.  Apparently her agent couldn't come so she just came on her own and her side of the app said:
"Owner will show house"

Well, that was awkward. 
 I quickly got my kids and dog out of the hot car and told them to just hang out in the backyard.  I took her in the house and one look at the living room and she said, "Oh, this is too small."


She finished looking around the house, but just as a curtesy.  She also has 3 kids, about my kids age.  What was hard about the showing for me, is that she immediately saw the things that are hard for me about the house, but I had to try and sugar coat them.

"How was it moving in?"  
Terrible.  I don't really want to tell you how many tears were shed trying to figure out this space for 5 people who homeschool.  But let me show you how I made it work!

"I just don't see how we could all hang out in the same living room."
You can't.  My bed is my couch most of our down time because the living room is full of boys watching a show or playing a game.  But we got a couch that reclines so it's a little more cozy.

"There's no space for the kids to play."
Yep.  Right again.  Good thing my boys love Legos and that requires sitting on the floor of the attic with slanted ceilings.


I know that's just how it goes selling a house.  I think it was hard for me to hear what I would have said if I saw the house before we bought it.  I've had to make it work and I'm proud of accomplishing that...but it still stings a little.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The school year has begun