The school year has begun


To be honest, I was not looking forward to starting the school year.  Not because of teaching, but because I didn't feel refreshed from the summer and I know this year is going to be full of logistical challenges and it's my baby girl's last year (sniff, sniff) and I find homeschooling in this house very hard.  Wonder why?
This is why:


You can barely stand in the attic and I am constantly walking like a ninja through Legos to get things I need.  I've moved some subjects downstairs and the books sit in our pantry.  We sit at the table and it's nice, but when I read to the boys, they like to be up here and they build while I read.  I think it's good for their brains, but it's not good for me. I sit next to a very loud air conditioner, so I feel like I'm yelling the whole time.  I am thankful for the space, but also documenting so I'm extra thankful when I don't have to tilt my head to type on my computer at our next house.

I was nervous, but this amazing thing happened.  I got up earlier than normal and had my quiet time.  I have actually struggled with getting up early since moving here and I was surprised how easy it felt all of the sudden.  I prayed over our day and the Lord answered in a mighty way.  He gave me renewed energy, a pep in my step and my heart just overwhelmed with thankfulness.  He reminded me how much I really love homeschooling and showed me all the goodness that comes from our days.

Like this:


My boys are 12 and 14 and they still play Legos.  Their play had been stagnate over the summer, but was reignited when our school days got into swing. I love that our days allow time to do this and they have the freedom to still be kids.

Don't worry, there's still plenty of tween/teen in them.  I only got that picture because they didn't know I was taking it.  And this is what happens when I do try to get their face:


I was also reminded how amazing it is that we've been doing this for so long that we have a natural rhythm of our day and that it's pretty easy for us to get right back into.  I've learned over the years to not make a big deal out of starting school.  We ease into it and it all goes way better.  A week before I actually want to start school, I'll show them their new books.  Then I'll just have them flip through the books and talk a little about what this year's courses will look like.  Then I have them do half of a math lesson.  Then the next day finish the math lesson.  And I'll add in there starting to read a fun book together.  All that makes the first day not so jarring and overwhelming.

I've also learned that it's a good idea to start the day with a game or outside play for Colin.  And make sure he has some food in him.  Seems basic, but it's easy to just start the day with calling out orders, which quickly sours attitudes which inhibits learning.  A quick games gets the brain juices flowing and also set a good tone for the day.  Uno has always been a favorite in our house.

It also made it hard to start because we currently live in New York where everyone still had a month of summer, but we're moving to California where their school year is more normal and will end in May (instead of the end of June).  Plus, I want to do graduation stuff in May :). Plus, we're moving during this year.

I documented the beginning of the year and this is just to keep all things real.
WHY?
Why must she purse her lips and not smile like she normally does?!?!  I will never understand.


Why won't this one at least look remotely happy?  
Happy in real life?  Yes.  Point a camera at him and viola....no expression.


And this one takes the cake.  Um, why are you sitting on the dog???  What about "Let's take first day of school pictures" equalled "I know.  I'll sit on the dog and not smile at the camera."


I always show them the picture and ask them if this is how they want it to be documented and they say yes.  I'm documenting that here for when they complain about their picture collages when they graduate.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The school year has begun